(Magnificent) Mushroom Quiche Pie
Ok, I GET it… people either love mushrooms, or hate them (or may be allergic!). I happen to fall into that category of people that love them, so when I came across this old family recipe, I couldn’t wait to try it! (Don’t worry, I’ll translate the scattered cursive writing.)
9 “ unbaked pie shell
2 T butter or oleo *
2 C (1/2 lb) thinly sliced mushrooms
2 C grated natural Swiss cheese (8 oz)
1 1/2 C half & half
1/2 t. salt *
1/4 t. white pepper
(* Capital T is for Tablespoon; lower case t. is for teaspoon)
- Prepare pie shell. Refrig until ready to use. Preheat oven to 375 F
- In hot butter in small skillet sauté mushrooms, stirring until golden brown
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over bottom prepared pie shell
- Arrange sautéed mushrooms over cheese
- In med. bowl w/rotary beater, beat eggs w/ 1/2 + 1/2, salt, pepper + nutmeg, until well combined but not frothy. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake 40-45 min or until the top is golden + the center seems firm when gently shaken.
- Remove to wire rack - cool 10 min before svg
I always think of older recipes as being loaded with ingredients and taking forever to make. In today’s society we just don’t have time for that. So I couldn’t believe how quick and easy this was to prepare. And oh-so-savory. Use as a side dish, or just dig right into the pie plate for your main course…you won’t be disappointed!
(p.s. since it didn’t specify what type of mushrooms to use, I used a mixture of sliced Shiitake and Baby Bella’s.)